Description: Cherry Lane and Faculty Bricks Apartments, built from 1956 to 1961 and in 1948 respectively, have provided housing for countless MSU students, faculty and staff over many decades. They are located on Harrison Road, bordered by Trowbridge Road, Shaw Lane and Birch Road, in campus's residential district.
After a significant study of the property, along with the recent repair history, Residential and Hospitality Services (RHS) has concluded that these units are simply at the end of their useful life cycle and are no longer cost effective to maintain. The piping has deteriorated significantly over the years, resulting in a major steam breakage in previous years. The mechanical systems of the buildings, including water, steam and heat have caused the greatest concern.
At its April 2010 meeting, the MSU Board of Trustees authorized RHS to plan for the demolition of these buildings and the restoration of the site. Residents have been notified and RHS is working with them to facilitate relocation. This project will be strictly demolition, which will not occur until July 2011 due to the lease agreements of current residents.
Timeline: The complex closed in May 2011 and demolition began in July 2011.
Questions, comments, concerns?
Please refer to the Construction Detours web page for current and upcoming detour information.